Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Blessing Day

On August 12, 2012 Chate was blessed into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. A baby blessing is a special blessing given to the child to give them a name welcome him officially into the church. For those who do not know what takes place for a baby blessing I got a little excerpt from 'lds.org'.  “Every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name” (D&C 20:70). In conformity with this revelation, only worthy men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood may participate in naming and blessing children. When blessing a baby, men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood gather in a circle and hold the baby in their hands. The person who gives the blessing:

1. Addresses Heavenly Father
2. States that the blessing is given by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
3. Gives the child a name.
4. Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs.
5. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.

This was such a special day for me and my little family. I always looked forward to watching my then "future" husband someday holding our baby and giving him a blessing. Chance did such an amazing job. Some of the things I remember from the blessing are that he advised Chate to read and ponder the scriptures often. To help his mother and give her comfort when needed, prepare to go on a mission and someday find a wife and take her to the temple. He also was lead by the spirit to tell Chate to know of his divine worth, and the love that God has for him. I can't remember everything Chance was inspired to say but these sweet things were what stood out to me the most. I am so lucky to have a husband that holds the priesthood and has such a love for Christ and his family, and am so blessed to have such a sweet baby boy who was born into the covenant and will grow up in the church. The LDS church has made me who I am today and I thank God each day for my blessed life. I hope that I can do all that I can to to instill the love that I have for the gospel to Chate and that he will come to know the truthfulness of it for himself. This day also happened to be the anniversary date for the day that Chance was baptized into the church 6 years ago now!


No comments:

Post a Comment